At Stower Provost we encourage physical activity and have a range of outdoor facilities to help promote this during break times and PE lessons. These facilities consist of an upper playground with painted line games and a lower enclosed playground with a marked netball court. There is also a large playing field, climbing wall, adventure playground, sandpit and swimming pool. Our indoor facilities consist of a hall with fixed and portable gymnastic apparatus. PE plays an important part of the school curriculum at Stower Provost with all children taking part in at least 2 hours PE a week
There are several lunchtime and after school sports clubs including netball, football, tennis, rugby, hockey, swimming, athletics, rounders and cricket. Teams are formed to take part in matches with other schools and compete in local tournaments.
Primary PE and Sport Funding
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision. Schools will receive £8,000 and an additional £5 per student annually in the academic years 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17.
Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels of which they are capable.
Stower Provost will receive approximately £8,500 during the 2016/17 academic year.
We will be using the sports funding to improve the quality of PE and sport provision in the
- Providing quality Forset Schools Outdoor Education
- Providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development and provide opportunities in PE and sport
- Buying into GASP SSCO (School Sports Coordinator) provision to enable a wide range of inter-school sporting activities and staff training opportunities
- Supporting regular sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages: Yeovil Area Athletics, North Dorset netball and football tournaments, to name a few
- Refurbishing outdoor space to enhance the provision of PE
- Purchasing specialist equipment and teaching resources
To view our Action plan for 2016/17 and review of spending for 2015/16 please see this PDF:
>> Sports funding action plan: 2016 – 2017
>> Sports funding review 2016 – 2017
- Stower Provost Action Plan 2017-2018